In August 2015 I made the choice to begin my real estate career full-time. This meant that I would quit my 8-5 job in property management and work from home, my car, the real estate office…pretty much wherever I wanted. It was a big leap of faith, not only for myself, but for my husband too. And I’m pretty sure he had more faith in me than I did myself at the time 😆
We made some adjustments financially – the biggest one being that our boys wouldn’t be in before or after school care anymore. It was costing $125 a week and I was more than capable of taking them to and from school. The other was staying home with them during the summer instead of paying for daycare. This past summer was amazingly fun and I was actually sad when they went back to school.
I became an instant stay-at-home working mom! I don’t even know if that is really a thing, but that is how I label myself now. Some of my roles changed immediately while others were more gradual.
Before I quit my job, J and I had divided up the weekly chores since neither one of us had the time to complete them all. One of his conditions for letting me take this chance was that all of the household duties would fall on me. I thought it was pretty reasonable considering I was home all day. Most weeks that’s still the case, but he is still very helpful if I need it. So I took over all of the weekly cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry (very reluctantly, ha!) and helping the boys with school related things.
Here is what a typical day for me looks like:
- Wake up at 6:00 AM to make J’s lunch
- Eat breakfast
- Get the boys ready for school (dressed, breakfast, teeth brushing, etc.) by 8:00 AM
- Drop boys off at school by 8:15
- Check work e-mail for any important tasks for the day
- Laundry (we do laundry in our house EVERY day)
- Pick up house (all of the males in my house are really good about leaving things lying around)
- Get ready for the day if I have scheduled appointments
- Run any errands that are needed
- Meal prep for dinner
- Pick up boys at 3:45 PM
- Help boys with homework and spelling
- Make dinner (this has become one of my favorite things!)
As you can see, most of my days don’t really consist of a lot of work. And honestly that is because of my chosen profession. It’s fairly sporadic and almost always immediate. Things in real estate don’t just wait, especially in today’s market, so I may be working for an hour at 8:00 PM one night and 2:00 PM the next day. It makes it perfect that I get to be wherever I want when those times roll around.
I do have a few other weekly things that I keep on my schedule – mostly for my own sanity.
- Monday – clean the house (vacuum, dust, bathrooms, etc.)
- Tuesday & Thursday – visit office in the morning
- Sunday – grocery shopping
Having these few items on my calendar every week helps me keep my sanity when things are unpredictable and will be a huge blessing when Baby S is here in a few months.
Whenever I am intentionally doing things to grow my business it looks a whole lot like this picture below. I do a lot of mailers and Internet marketing to keep my business going, but my favorite job in the whole world is just getting to be a mom and wife for my family 😊